Eastern Mediterranean University
CMPE-581 Modeling Multimedia Systems –
FALL 2019/2020 – Prof. Dr. I. AYBAY
Multimedia systems have become very popular after 1990's, and extensive software has been developed for multimedia. However, there is a lack of formalism in modeling multimedia systems. Furthermore, the affects of network parameters on distributed and/or real-time multimedia systems are not studied well.
The aim of this course is to analyze various issues related with multimedia systems, focusing on the modeling of real-time presentation systems.
Course Contents: (Topics to be covered in Fall 2019/2020)
- Introduction to multimedia
- Sending multimedia information on telephone and digital networks
- Digital representations of multimedia information ( Storage, audio, video, common data formats, signals, A-D conversion, sampling, quantization)
- Distributed multimedia systems
- Coding and data-video compression methods
- Distributed multimedia applications over computer networks and the Internet ( TCP/IP, network architectures, multimedia requirements )
- Synchronization of multimedia presentations, temporal synchronization models for interactive multimedia systems
- Digital TV and satellite systems
- Video-on-Demand systems
- Wireless systems and multimedia
Proposals to be submitted on: October 7, 2019
Intermediate Reports and short presentations due: November 18, 2019
Final presentations are due in the last week of December 2019
For detailed term project information, please refer to the labs page
Assignments %10, Term Project %40, Final Exam %50.
Instead of a text-book, recently published papers shall be used. Some reference books will stated in class.